By The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. KENYA'S MILITARY LAUNCHES OPERATION TO END HOSTAGE CRISIS
The Kenya Defense Forces says it has rescued "most" hostages and has taken control of most of the mall in Nairobi, where militants from al-Shabab killed at least 68 people.
2. 'THEY'RE ON THE RISE, AS YOU CAN SEE FROM NAIROBI'
The White House comes under pressure to ramp up counterterror action against al-Shabab in Somalia after the group's deadly Kenya mall attack.
3. WHO'S FINDING UNEXPECTED DIPLOMATIC OPENINGS
With the U.N. General Assembly meetings beginning, President Obama sees possible progress with Israel and the Palestinians, Iran and Syria.
4. 'OUR TEARS ARE NOT ENOUGH'
President Obama joins military leaders in eulogizing the dozen victims killed in last Monday's shootings at the Washington Navy Yard.
5. QUESTIONS ARISE OVER NSA REVIEW PANEL'S INDEPENDENCE
The advisers have effectively been operating as an arm of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees the NSA.
6. BUDGET FIGHT BLAME GAME COMMENCES
GOP and Democratic lawmakers are denouncing each other for a government shutdown many are treating as inevitable.
7. WHERE CUBANS ARE GETTING A TASTE OF TOURISM
As Cuban government eases some travel restrictions, more are flying from Havana to Miami to sample an American vacation.
8. JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS WINS EMMY FOR 'VEEP'
Her victory honored her for a portrayal of the cynical Selina Meyer in the send-up of modern-day Washington.
9. HOW CASINOS ARE CATCHING CARD SHARPS
Gaming resorts from the U.S. to Australia use their own intelligence network to warn one another about cheaters.
10. YANKEES PAY HOMAGE TO RETIRING 'SANDMAN'
'It is a great pleasure and honor for me to be the last player to ever wear number 42," closer Mariano Rivera said during the ceremony in The Bronx.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.